Re: USB disk shows up late at boot

Paul Cartwright put forth on 12/23/2009 7:47 PM:
> On Wed December 23 2009, Celejar wrote:
>> I'm not sure exactly what you've tried, but if you're building the
>> kernel itself from source, you shouldn't be installing any header
>> packages - they're only for when you need to build stuff against a
>> kernel for which you don't have the source.
>
> I think I'm trying to do too much:)
> you are probably right, I don't need the headers. Except, it seems to me I
> need the headers for my NVIDIA modules. Every time I get a nre kernel, I also
> get the headers to build the nvidia drivers..

I'm not sure how to help you here.  I only use Debian and custom kenels for
headless servers, i.e. text console only, so I've never dealt with GPU drivers.

I'm sure Gooogle can find you plenty of instructions on how to do a custom
kernel w/nVidia drivers.  Many have come down this path before you Paul.

Remember what many of us have said:  "Building a custom kernel is as much about
learning as it is about accomplishing".  Becoming proficient at building a
custom kernel can take a while, sometimes months, sometimes years, depending on
one's aptitude and technical chops.  The more gifted one is, the quicker this
learning process.  The bulk of the Linux kernel deals with the hardware of the
machines.  If you are really into hardware, and by that I mean knowing the chips
on the motherboard and expansion cards, and the basic/advanced functions of
each, you'll be much better off when building your own kernels.  If you're not a
HardwareFreak, like me, it'll take you a little longer.

--
Stan