Re: could not chroot with debootstrap

2009/12/25 Steve Kemp <skx@debian.org>
On Fri Dec 25, 2009 at 08:46:30 +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
>    i'm trying to create a 64-bit environment on my debian lenny 32-bit to
>    create a 64-bit deb package
>    the command i'm using is:
>    # debootstrap --arch=amd64 lenny lenny64/ http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/
>
>    failure message:
>    W: Failure trying to run: chroot /home/umarzuki/lenny64 mount -t proc proc
>    /proc
>    what is wrong with the command

 You cannot do what you want to do, is the short answer.

 The problem is that you cannot run a 64-bit binary upon a 32-bit
 system, and thats what you're seeing.  Part way through the
 debootstrap the system tries to run "chroot /.... mount" which
 fails.

 (The other way round is fine, on a 64-bit system you can create
 a 32-bit chroot.)

thanks, i didn't realize that since i had done the other way around, i just thought this would work

 If your processor happens to be a 64-bit one then you can fix this
 by installing a 64-bit kernel - keeping your system 32-bit but having
 the kernel be capable of running both systems..

Steve
--
http://www.steve.org.uk/

--