Re: Debian Etch Install

Klistvud put forth on 12/21/2009 5:45 AM:

> For example, if you have an unsupported wireless card, while at the same
> time wireless is the only connectivity available at your
> location/work/home. It's my situation, precisely: I have no less than
> TWO unsupported wifi cards on (both) my computers at home. A Belkin that
> will only work via ndiswrapper, and a Broadcom 4328 that will *only*
> work with the proprietary Broadcom driver. I have found the hard way
> that downloading only the first Debian DVD wasn't enough  -- I think
> both ndiswrapper (for my Belkin card) and the compiling environment (for
> the Broadcom one) were missing, although I may be wrong here, it was
> some time ago I did that. I suspect the net install is even more
> stripped down?

Tell me, do either of these two machines lack an RJ45 10/100 base_T ethernet
port? (rhetorical)

Any PC, desktop or laptop (or server), built in the last 6+ years has built-in
wired ethernet.  (If yours don't have it, you went _way_ out of your way to find
machines without it)  So, in your scenario, instead of throwing your hands up
crying "I can't net install because the wireless cards aren't supported by the
installation kernel", you'd jack into one of the switch ports on the back of
your little consumer broadband wireless router (all of which have at least 1
wired ethernet port for configuration purposes--if you bought one without a
wired port, forgive me for saying so, but you're brain dead or a masochist).
You do the net install over the wired connection, then grab what you need to get
the wireless going.

Your scenario is bogus, because all semi-modern PCs have wired ethernet.  Here
in the US you can't buy one without wired ethernet, haven't been able to for
years.  All the motherboards have it built in for Pete's sake.  Our PCs are made
in China, same as yours, so you've got the wired ethernet built into your
machines just as we do.

Please don't even bother responding.  Either you are lying about your scenario
to make a point, in which case you're an idiot.  Or, you're telling the truth
about your scenario, in which case, again, you're an idiot.  Responding will
only make you look more so.

--
Stan