rolling-back, reverting system upgrades?

Dear all
How would I roll back system upgrades? I am using Debian testing and
after I hit "Reload package info" in Synaptic, it will download the
package versions that are current in the testing tree, and will
completely forget the old tree (which after the update will be dubbed
as "now"). If I perform an upgrade of a package, say a critical one,
fglrx (video card) or broadcom (wifi), and the new version comes with
an incompatibility that breaks my system, I currently see no way to
revert to the old ("now") tree, the old versions where the packages
worked just fine.

In other words, if you update the package info and upgrade some
packages that come with breakages, you're doomed to start hunting for
a fix (in my case, this morning, without X and without internet). In
the old times with Gentoo, breakages occurred more often than needed,
but it was quite easy to revert an upgrade: each tree---stable and
testing---usually contained several, similar versions of the package
(much closer than in Lenny and Squeeze). That meant that whenever
something went wrong after a package upgrade, I simply reverted to a
previous minor version, got on with my work and waited for a new
version to pop up.

To get back to my original question, is there an easy way in Debian,
with aptitude or Synaptic, to revert to the old tree after the
"package info was reloaded" (or "aptitude was updated")? Thank you
Liviu

--
Do you know how to read?
http://www.alienetworks.com/srtest.cfm