Re: Problem with Seagate HDD

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 15:39:30 +0300, James Brown wrote:

> I had upgraded the HDD of my laptop "Acer TravelMate3040 (working under
> Debian AMD64) to the Seagate ST9500420AS 500 GB. It seems that it works
> fine but I have the next result of the smartctl now:
> http://paste.org.ru/?hb4nsx
> In the beginning of using it I had the next result:
> http://paste.org.ru/?ouzru9

You have to take care about the "pre-fail" values:

***
1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000f   116   099   006    Pre-fail  Always       -       115084648
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000f   067   060   030    Pre-fail  Always       -       17202967923
 10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013   100   100   097    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
***

"Raw_Read_Error_Rate" and "Seek_Error_Rate" are very high.

> I have read that the smartctl can get very strandge results for Seagate
> HDDs and it may be not so terrible as it seems. Have anyone an opinion
> concirning this matter?

Yes, I also saw these values were very high on my Segate drives and was also
alarmed, but looking into Wkipedia [1] I discovered that Segate drives just make
another interpretation of that values, so unless you are getting another smart
warning (or you hear some "clack, clack" noise coming from your drive), I would
not worry for these.

***
01 	01 	Read Error Rate
Indicates the rate of hardware read errors that occurred when reading
data from a disk surface. A non-zero value indicates a problem with the disk
surface, read/write heads, or the heads are not centered exactly over the track.
Note that Seagate drives often report a raw value that is very high even
on new drives, and does not thereby indicate a failure.

07 	Seek Error Rate
Rate of seek errors of the magnetic heads. If there is a partial failure
in the mechanical positioning system, then seek errors will arise. Such a
failure may be due to numerous factors, such as damage to a servo, or thermal widening
of the hard disk. More seek errors indicates a worsening condition of a disk’s
surface or the mechanical subsystem, or both. Note that Seagate drives often report a
raw value that is very high, even on new drives, and this does not normally indicate a
failure.
***

> And the next question, how can I get the serial
> number of my Seagate HDD without drawning it out from my notebook? I
> want to send request to the Seagate technical support but tor it I must
> register on their site with that number and their site don't want it the
> serial number that I can get with exicuting commands "smartctl" or
> "hdparm".

Any information about the drive unit (model, serial number and firmware
version) should be displayed with "smartctl -a /dev/sda".

[1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.>

Greetings,

--
Camaleón