Re: Mounting new hard disk in /dev/sdb

Jason Filippou wrote:
> I recently installed a new SATA hard drive on my desktop system and I
> noticed that Squeeze had, by default, mounted it in /dev/sda. This means
> that recently, due to the popular GRUB failure that caused everybody
> (including myself) a lot of grief, my Debian disk rescue mode was installing
> the new GRUB on (hd0), which was, however, on the brand new disk (NTFS
> formatted), which does not hold and will not hold any operating systems.
> Thus, I was still seeing grub_printf_ as missing when I logged in. So I was
> just wondering whether there was any way that I could plug in my new hard
> drive and mount it on /dev/sdb, so that I can access it as (hd1) in GRUB
> notation, next time the boot loader fails (which, I have to say, has been
> reather frequent lately).

FWIW, you don't mount a disk on /dev/sdb. You mount it on whatever
directory you assign to it wihtin the / (root) file system. /dev/sdb is
the 'name' assigned to the *dev*ice by the kernel. In order to work
around some arbitraryness in this assignment due to disks present or not
on boot and/or different boot processes, you should mount by id or by
label.

I can't help you with the grub issues. (FWIW, lenny's grub works fine
for me.) You could try to switch cables or try to configure your bios to
access both disks in a specified, reproducible order.

HTH,
--
Johannes

Three nations have not officially adopted the International System
of Units as their primary or sole system of measurement: Burma,
Liberia, and the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Si_units