Re: calling US 800 numbers from abroad via VoIP

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 01:41:20PM +0800, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
> [Also posted to Newsgroups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip]
> Hello. I live in Taiwan and use Debian Linux.
> I want to call an 1-800 toll free US number,
> which of course is not toll free when calling from Taiwan.
> So how can I use this VoIP stuff to bridge the gap?
> I'm sure I'm capable of installing whatever .deb Debian software package
> is needed. But then what IP address would I direct my traffic to to make
> the jump from the Internet into the Phone system?
>
> My friend uses the Skype stuff, but all I want to do is make one or two
> calls to some 800 numbers, so don't want to subscribe to anything, pay
> any money, nor do I own a credit card.

Well this solution requires a $10 charge on a credit card, but here it
is anyway.

I use Ekiga (free software, included in Debian's repositories).  I
signed up for their "recommended provider" for dialing real phone
numbers.  To sign up you need to spend $10 on call credits.  Since they
are based in the US, I believe that using them to dial 1-800 numbers
should be free.  (Although I have not tested it).

The provider is diamondcard.us

Conceivably, if all you ever use them for is dialing 1-800 numbers, your
initial $10 investment could last you a lifetime.

-Rob