Using Cricket A600 Modem in Debian

I have been looking for a reference on using the Cricket Wireless A600
Broadband modem under a Debian "Lenny" install to provide wireless
access to a home LAN.  I can find a number of references such as the
one at
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-setup-cricket-wireless-a600-broadband-modem-in-ubuntu.html
covering installation of the modem on Ubuntu, but I can't find about
using the device in Debian.  One of the posts suggests the utility
requires kernel 2.6.29 or above, which isn't in any Debian reporitories
I can find.  Does anyone have any insight on this?  I'm not familiar
with Ubuntu, as most of the Linux machines I run are servers - and for
me top priority is stability.  This machine isn't a server, though, so
if necessary I could install Ubuntu.  I would profer to keep Debian,
though.  Is getting 2.6.29 a lost cause under Debian?  I don't mind
compiling from a kernel source.  Can I get udev to do what I need under
2.6.26-2-686?  The output from lsusb doesn't seem helpful:

Cricket:/Downloads/usb_modeswitch-0.9.7# lsusb
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 1f28:0020
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Here's the output from modeswitch:

Cricket:/Downloads/usb_modeswitch-0.9.7# cat flipflop.sh
/usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch
sleep 10
usb_modeswitch -v 0x1f28 -p 0x0020 -R 1
Cricket:/Downloads/usb_modeswitch-0.9.7# ./flipflop.sh

 * usb_modeswitch: tool for controlling "flip flop" mode USB devices
 * Version 0.9.7 (C) Josua Dietze 2009
 * Works with libusb 0.1.12 and probably other versions

Looking for target devices ...
 Found devices in target mode or class (1)
Looking for default devices ...
 Found default devices (1)
 Found a default device NOT in target class mode
Prepare switching, accessing device 003 on bus 003 ...
Looking for active driver ...
 OK, driver found ("usb-storage")
 OK, driver "usb-storage" detached
Setting up communication with interface 0 ...
Trying to send the message to endpoint 0x08 ...
 OK, message successfully sent
-> Run lsusb to note any changes. Bye

 * usb_modeswitch: tool for controlling "flip flop" mode USB devices
 * Version 0.9.7 (C) Josua Dietze 2009
 * Works with libusb 0.1.12 and probably other versions

Looking for default devices ...
 Found default devices (1)
Prepare switching, accessing device 004 on bus 003 ...
Resetting usb device .
 OK, device was reset
-> Run lsusb to note any changes. Bye