RE: Using Cricket A600 Modem in Debian

> > I have been looking for a reference on using the Cricket Wireless A600
> > Broadband modem under a Debian "Lenny" install to provide wireless
> > access to a home LAN.  I can find a number of references such as the
> > one at
> > http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-setup-cricket-wireless-a600-broadband-
> modem-in-ubuntu.html
>
> //
>
> perfect.

	Ah!  Then I'm on the right track.

> > covering installation of the modem on Ubuntu, but I can't find about
> > using the device in Debian.  One of the posts suggests the utility
> > requires kernel 2.6.29 or above, which isn't in any Debian reporitories
> > I can find.  Does anyone have any insight on this?
>
> //
>
> well, i'm very happy with my cricket a600, if that matters.
>
> i'm using it on a (vanilla--standard install) lenny box.
> the kernel is 2.6.26-1-686, i believe.

	'Better and better.

> good!  all that means is that the cricket a600 modem
> has been rebooted, a necessity.
>
> now the fun part....

	'And better still.

> 1.  # ifdown eth0 (or eth1--however your ethernet is recognized);
>
> 	- this makes sure that your system doesn't try to use
> 	the ethernet for your network connectivity.

	No, it's going to have to.  This is going to be a router.  However,
setting the default route to the wireless interface should be sufficient.

> 2.  # wvdial (if you don't have it, yet:  # apt-get install wvdial)
>
> 	- this dials out and connects your modem to cricket's 3g net-
> 	work.

	Ah!  The missing piece... as long as udev creates the device listed
below.  Let me look...  Yeah, it's there.

> 3.  edit /etc/wvdial.conf:
>
> 	- vi /etc/wvdial.conf (or open the wvdial.conf file with your
> 	favorite editor).
>
> 	- add this info to the file, if it's not already there:
>
> phone = #777
> modem = /dev/ttyACM0
> username = [put_your_cricket_telephone_number_here]@mycricket.com
> passmord = cricket

	I presume I'm supposed to remove the semicolons?  One little issue:
I don't have a Cricket telephone number.  All I have is broadband service.
I also don't have a login or password.

> 4.  # wvdial

	I'm getting there, though.  The modem is definitely responding.

> 	- if everything is configured, you'll get your ip address
> 	for cricket's network and cricket's dns servers.
>
> 5.  surf away!
>
> luck!

	Thanks!