Re: email server-static IP

On Mon December 14 2009, Alan Chandler wrote:
> Normally when you get a domain name, you should get the facility to edit
> the name servers zone file for the domain.  You then point the MX
> records where you like - just point it/them at this same static ip.

I've had my domain for.... quite a few years. I own it from Network Solutions
for at least the next 10 years.
I've always had a hosting company ( ok, so I used to run windows:) that  TAKES
CARE of that STUFF..

> MX records have a priority and you can have several and point them at
> different places so that you can have a backup server manage your mail.

I understand the concept, I used to do the DNS for AT&T in our own little
subnet, adding machines & records, but that was 15 years ago... forgotten
most of what I thought I knew..

if I dropped my domain hosting company, you are saying I would go back to
network Solutions to get my MX records done? or my ISP...
--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800