Re: Upgrade alsa-utils in Lenny?

On Sun,13.Dec.09, 14:02:29, Mark wrote:
> My girlfriend's Dell MIni 10v netbook works fine with Lenny except for no
> sound.  A lot of research on my end has resulted in determining that the
> reason Ubuntu 9x has sound is because it uses alsa-utils 1.0.21 whereas
> Lenny uses 1.0.16-2.

Are you sure it's not the kernel? You could try 2.6.30 from backports.

> Any way I can upgrade just the alsa-utils part of Lenny without having
> to move to Squeeze?

I see that alsa-utils is not in backports. Your best bet would probably
be to try to install the squeeze package.

If this doesn't work due to additional dependencies needed you could add
a squeeze source and 'aptitude install -t squeeze alsa-utils'. You might
get away with only a few additional packages from squeeze.

Don't forget to remove the squeeze source afterwards or use
default-release/pinning to keep the system to lenny.

Regards,
Andrei