compiled tsocks not working, how to debug

Hello. I've installed tsocks from package repository and is working
fine. Except I had to resolve domain name on the remote end, which is
not satisfied.

Reading tsocks man page I realized I had to compile tsocks on my own
with configuration options --enable-socksdns and --disable-hostnames in
order to make tsocks resolve domain name remotely, so I did it, after
removed tsocks package. However then I keep getting time out error:

$ tsocks wget http://www.g.cn
--2009-12-13 23:43:08--  http://www.g.cn/
Resolving www.g.cn... 203.208.37.104, 203.208.37.99
Connecting to www.g.cn|203.208.37.104|:80... 	23:46:18 libtsocks(7687): Error 110 attempting to connect to SOCKS server (Connection timed out)
failed: Connection timed out.
Connecting to www.g.cn|203.208.37.99|:80... ^[Oc23:49:27 libtsocks(7687): Error 110 attempting to connect to SOCKS server (Connection timed out)
failed: Connection timed out.
Retrying.

--2009-12-13 23:49:28--  (try: 2)  http://www.g.cn/
Connecting to www.g.cn|203.208.37.104|:80... 23:52:37 libtsocks(7687): Error 110 attempting to connect to SOCKS server (Connection timed out)
failed: Connection timed out.
Connecting to www.g.cn|203.208.37.99|:80...

netstat -t shows this:
$ netstat -t | grep socks
tcp        0      1 localhost:42899         localhost:socks
SYN_SENT

Naturally I doubt the socks server is broken (it is actually "ssh -D
1080 ..."), but it works fine with Firefox configured to use socks
proxy, it also worked fine with Debian-packaged tsocks. And, if the
configuration is in effect, being able to resolve domain showed
connection to socks server is OK.

I am not experienced in networking stuff, so I wonder what would you do
from here. Overhearing socks traffic? Or report a bug?

I should have discussed this on tsocks forum but having noticed there
are about 2 posts per year and some questions gets unanswered (e.g. "is
the development stopped?") for years, I think I might try luck at
OS-distribution's list.

Thanks in advance.