Re: apt pinning question

On Sat,12.Dec.09, 15:28:19, Gordon Wrigley wrote:
> I wasn't sure what venue was best to ask this in, so if this is the
> wrong place please direct me to the correct place.

Hmm, I would suggest ubuntu-users or similar mailing list, but there is
indeed a chance that your question is not Ubuntu specific...

[snip]

> 1: sudo apt-get install firefox-3.5/lucid
>
> This will only pull dependencies from Karmic(stable) and will
> generally fail because some supporting package doesn't have a high
> enough version in Karmic(stable).
> Now of course I could go through recursively by hand and resolve every
> unmet dependency, but that quickly gets very tedious.
>
> 2: sudo apt-get install firefox-3.5 -t lucid

In all Debian docs I have seen this is the recommended way of pulling
specific packages from a non-default repository.

> This will pull all required dependencies from Lucid(testing). Even
> those that could have been met from Karmic(stable), which
> unnecessarily pollutes my system with Lucid(testing) packages.
>
> What am I missing here?

Assuming your apt behaves the same as Debian I think you want to set
lucid to something smaller than 100, see apt_preferences(5) for more
info.

> P.S. I'm not subscribed to the list, it'd be handy if people could CC
> me on any replies but I intend to keep an eye on the list archive
> anyway.

Sure ;)

Regards,
Andrei