apt pinning question

I wasn't sure what venue was best to ask this in, so if this is the
wrong place please direct me to the correct place.

I'm using APT pinning to pull packages from both Ubuntu Karmic(stable)
and Ubuntu Lucid(testing) but I'm having problems getting APT to
produce the behavior I want.

What I want it to do is generally get packages from Karmic(stable).
Except when I explicitly specify that I want something from
Lucid(testing), at which point I want it to meet as much of the
dependencies as it can from Karmic(stable) but where the
Karmic(stable) packages aren't new enough it should get them from
Lucid(testing).

I've tried several different configurations but none of them seem to
work. Currently I have Lucid(testing) pinned at 400 with

Package: *
Pin: release lucid
Pin-Priority: 400

And I don't have a release set so Karmic(stable) is defaulting to 500.

This meets the requirement of generally getting packages from
Karmic(stable), but I'm having problems with the Lucid(testing) side
of the setup.

I am aware of two ways of installing packages from Lucid(testing)

1: sudo apt-get install firefox-3.5/lucid

This will only pull dependencies from Karmic(stable) and will
generally fail because some supporting package doesn't have a high
enough version in Karmic(stable).
Now of course I could go through recursively by hand and resolve every
unmet dependency, but that quickly gets very tedious.

2: sudo apt-get install firefox-3.5 -t lucid

This will pull all required dependencies from Lucid(testing). Even
those that could have been met from Karmic(stable), which
unnecessarily pollutes my system with Lucid(testing) packages.

What am I missing here?

Gordon

P.S. I'm not subscribed to the list, it'd be handy if people could CC
me on any replies but I intend to keep an eye on the list archive
anyway.