Re: [OT]What's the price index of your laptop's battery?

On Thu December 10 2009, Klistvud wrote:
> > to unplug your battery.. this keeps it from being constantly in the
> > mode, and maybe helps it last longer.. just a thought....
> I thought this should be taken care of by the charging circuit in the
> laptop: if I'm not mistaken, the charging circuit should put the
> battery offline when it's fully charged?

Question: If I remove the battery & run from a power source will it lengthen
battery life?

Laptop batteries have finite life spans. Whether you use the power cord and
remove the battery it will lengthen the life of the battery.

Li-Ion laptop battery lifespan is approximately 1000 charge cycles, or 2-4
years under normal operating conditions.

Keeping the battery in a cool place can prolong its life but not in a period
of extended storage. The Li-ion battery should be stored at 40 percent rather
than full-charge state.

The battery ages even if not used. For best results, keep the battery cool. In
addition, store the battery at a 40 percent charge level. Never fully charge
or discharge the battery before storage. The 40 percent charge assures a
stable condition even if self-discharge robs some of the battery's energy.
Most battery manufacturers store Li-ion batteries at 15°C (59°F) and at 40
percent charge.

Keeping a laptop battery on constant charge is and never using it is not good
for the laptop battery. Run the battery down and recharging it at least once
every month.

> > I have a
> > 4-year old
> > Dell XPS laptop that never lasts more than 2 hours on battery, but I
> > don't
> > use it much anymore, since I stopped travelling :)
> My sister has an even older Dell (it must be at least 5 or 6 years)
> which still lasts just under an hour on the *original* battery. In the
> meantime, I've had at least 3 or 4 batteries in two different Compaqs
> die on me. She never unplugged the battery in all these years; she
> couldn't care less, really ...

sounds like my wife.. she never turns lights off either..

Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800
Registered Ubuntu User #12459