Re: [OT]What's the price index of your laptop's battery?

On Thu December 10 2009, Klistvud wrote:
> > to unplug your battery.. this keeps it from being constantly in the
> > CHARGE
> > mode, and maybe helps it last longer.. just a thought....
>
> I thought this should be taken care of by the charging circuit in the
> laptop: if I'm not mistaken, the charging circuit should put the
> battery offline when it's fully charged?
http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/usingyourlaptop/f/laptopbattery1.htm

Question: If I remove the battery & run from a power source will it lengthen
battery life?
Answer:

Laptop batteries have finite life spans. Whether you use the power cord and
remove the battery it will lengthen the life of the battery.

Li-Ion laptop battery lifespan is approximately 1000 charge cycles, or 2-4
years under normal operating conditions.

Keeping the battery in a cool place can prolong its life but not in a period
of extended storage. The Li-ion battery should be stored at 40 percent rather
than full-charge state.

The battery ages even if not used. For best results, keep the battery cool. In
addition, store the battery at a 40 percent charge level. Never fully charge
or discharge the battery before storage. The 40 percent charge assures a
stable condition even if self-discharge robs some of the battery's energy.
Most battery manufacturers store Li-ion batteries at 15°C (59°F) and at 40
percent charge.

Keeping a laptop battery on constant charge is and never using it is not good
for the laptop battery. Run the battery down and recharging it at least once
every month.

> > I have a
> > 4-year old
> > Dell XPS laptop that never lasts more than 2 hours on battery, but I
> > don't
> > use it much anymore, since I stopped travelling :)
>
> My sister has an even older Dell (it must be at least 5 or 6 years)
> which still lasts just under an hour on the *original* battery. In the
> meantime, I've had at least 3 or 4 batteries in two different Compaqs
> die on me. She never unplugged the battery in all these years; she
> couldn't care less, really ...

sounds like my wife.. she never turns lights off either..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800