Re: debian support and laptops

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 12:05:09AM +1100, Daniel Dalton wrote:

> Here is the list:
>
> 1. Acer travel mate 6293 AU$1799
> 2. hp Compaq 6530S  AU$1279
> 3. hp Compaq 610  AU$999

Just a general comment: I have a Lenovo Thinkpad R61 and although I am
running Debian on it at the moment, it was not always easy to get
everything to work.  I am actually using an Ubuntu kernel at the
moment because all the Debian kernels gave me irq-errors on this
laptop resulting in the disabling of the network card at times.

With Ubuntu installations everything just work.  So far I could not
get my Fn-F8 to toggle the the touchpad, but I am living with it.  On
Ubuntu that also worked.

So why do I use Debian?  I think it is more stable and I like it...

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4599

     "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of
      God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice,
      holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable
      service."           Romans 12:1