Re: 'exim', version '4.69', is out of date

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 12:37:22PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 12:16:01 +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 07:03:26AM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> >
> >> - Debian Lenny (stable) is not a "rolling-update" distribution. So once
> >> is released, it won't update packages just because there is a newer
> >> version available "upstream". Lenny just get updated packages when
> >> there is a security patch available for each of them. That is,
> >> "officially" you will get only security updates. Whenever a new version
> >> of any package is available (just the case of Exim) you can install it
> >> "by hand" and at your own risk (by compiling, by using a backport
> >> repository, by donwloading .deb file, etc...).
> >>
> >> - Rkhunter is just doing its job: it advices you there is a newer
> >> version available for those packages and that's right. Is up to you
> >> upgrading them or not.
> >
> > No. Rkhunter is not doing its job. Most of the installations of Exim in
> > the world are by now "out of date". Hence Rkhunter is more likely to
> > generate a false warning. Or even worse: to encourge the user to install
> > an unsupported package.
>
> Well, but it is "a fact" that is oudated. And that is the warning
> Rkhunter is giving to the user. No more, no less.

It's not outdated.
http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/e/exim4/exim4_4.69-9/changelog
-- Andreas Metzler <ametzler@debian.org>  Tue, 30 Sep 2008 20:12:27 +0200

Is this outdated?

Rkhunter assumes that a simple check of the version number will do. That
assumption fails all too often.

> >> I, personally, would not take any step :-)
> >
> > So you basically your hunter is crying "old wolf" and you ignore it.
>
> I don't know how Rkhunter works, but it should be configurable so the
> user can select what kind of warning wants to receive.

So it's just the defaults that are wrong?