Re: Why CUPS?

Girish Kulkarni schreef:
On Tue, 8 Dec 2009, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
This does not only apply to client applications, but also to
computers configured as CUPS clients (debian's default): You only
set-up and configure a printer on one server for a whole
network. With a default debian installation, the clients on the
network will discover the printer automatically and 'just work'. I
have never used lprng so I don't know, if it has a similar feature.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is probably true for LPRng too.  You
just configure and run lpd (the LPRng server) on one computer of the
network, alongwith the printer.  The client programs of LPRng (lpr,
lpq, etc.) then --- with a correct /etc/printcap configuration file
--- find that the printer Just Works.
Not quite. When properly configured (and not firewalled) cups servers advertise their printers, and other cups servers then automatically add the advertised printers. When having a laptop that's used on multiple networks this is a great feature. The downside is that it's not so easy to teach your firewall allow cups traffic on networks with an ever different topology and numbering schemes.

Sjoerd