Re: Why CUPS?

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009, Rogério Brito wrote:
But there is some danger here: lprng is an orphaned package in
Debian (which means that it currently has no one looking after it).
If you want to ensure that it has a long life, please help
maintaining it.

Interesting.  And I was going to complain about there being no Debian
package for lprngtool, the LPRng GUI.

,----[ NEWS.Debian.gz ]
| lprng (3.8.A-2.1) unstable; urgency=low
|
|   Programs based on the gtk library (which includes a lot of popular
|   programs in Debian) have lost the ability to print to lpr/lprng.
|
|   A way to work around this problem of gtk+2.0, please use:
|
|   + for a one-user setup, include an entry in the file .gtkrc-2.0 in
|     your home directory with the line:
|
|     gtk-print-backends = "file,lpr"
|
|   + for a system-wide setup, include the same line in the file
|     /etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
|
|   It may happen that your setup will be broken again if GTK 3.0 doesn't
|   read the gtk-2.0 files or don't provide an appropriate upgrade path.
|
|  -- Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br>  Mon, 18 May 2009 21:36:28 -0300
`----

Thanks for pointing out.

Girish.