Re: CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
> <hmh@debian.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> This should be negligible.
> >
> > It is not.  It will likely hang the box during boot as stuff wait for udev
> > to create nodes that never show up.
> >
> > I don't know if it will eventually timeout, but if it will, it will take a
> > _long_ time.
>
> [Apologies to Henrique for first replying to him; darn Gmail default!!]
>
> Not in my experience.  I've been booting with this message for several
> weeks now, with no observable degradation in boot time.  And if it did
> behave as you predict, "deprecated" is hardly sufficient warning!

Well, I should have been far more precise about it. It can hang in "certain
configs". It did here, and I needed a live-cd to fix the issue.

It could well depend on your arch, kernel config, and set of packages
installed, as well as whether you're using an initrd or not.

Too bad I didn't have the time to fix or track it, so I used a live-cd,
downgraded udev to 146-something, got it to boot, fixed things up in the
kernel, and it is now working properly.  It was not reported to the BTS,
since it would justly deserve an "unreproducible needsinfo" set of tags most
likely, and I'd have no further info to contribute.

  Henrique Holschuh