Re: CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED

ghammar@sv-phoenix.com:
> I was fixing a problem with my root login and Orbit/Gnome. One of the
> things that was recommended was to do
>
> apt-get upgrade && apt-get update
>
> Somehow in the process of doing that, there were some changes to the
> kernel.

Check apt's log files to get a clue what actually happened.

> Now when I try to boot, I get the message "... update kernel or
> disable CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPECATED...".

This should be negligible.

> I went into /boot and edited
> config_2.6.26_2-amd64 and changed the "y" to "n" for both
> CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED and CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2, but the error
> message remains.

This file describes the configuration that was used to compile the
kernel. It is purely informational and has no effect on the kernel after
compilation.

> I can boot into single user mode and access the system,
> but I can't do a complete system boot. It hangs on the CPUFreq part. I
> would like to get my laptop back without completely rebuilding the OS.
>
> Any suggestions?

Yes, please try to be more precise about what happens before the boot
process hangs. Did you try pressing Ctrl-c or Ctrl-d to abort the
currenlty running init script? Did you try to disable the script you
suspect to be the culprit? Do you have entries in your syslog from
failed boot attempts? Did you enable the boot log
(etc/default/bootlogd)?

J.
--
No-one appears to be able to help me.