Re: Fatal: Only RAID1 devices are supported as boot devices

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Johannes Wiedersich
<johannes@physik.blm.tu-muenchen.de> wrote:
> Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>> That's extremely clear indeed ! The issue is that I was confusing
>> software RAID and hardware RAID. So I rebooted the system and in the
>> BIOS I setup the RAID0.
>
> I would advice to use software RAID instead. As pointed out before, that
> requires the extra effort of maintaining a separate partition for boot,
>  but that effort is rather low, a few hundred MB out of your 6 TB are
> sufficient. The disadvantage of hardware raid is that it will make all
> your data unusable, if your hardware develops a defect. In case of
> software raid, you could move your disks, ie. data to a different
> machine with a different motherboard for recovery or continued use.
>
> I was bitten once by that, when our dedicated raid controller went havoc.
>
> Of course YMMV, and all of this will depend on your over all
> situation... (Time available for recovery, importance of data etc.)

I did setup this thing to be able to read/write data as efficiently as
possible. This should be temporary data, or any data on it should be
backup elsewhere.
Thanks for the info, I'll keep this in mind if requirements changes over time.

thanks,
--
Mathieu