Re: Will Debian accept a SATA to IDE hdd adapter?

Mark put forth on 12/3/2009 4:33 PM:
> Curious if anyone has used something like this
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119257 with
> Lenny.  I have an old HP desktop running Lenny with 2 hdd: hda and hdb,
> using IDE connections, with hda jumper set to Master and hdb set to
> Slave.  Currently hdb is 80 gb and ext3 format on hdb1 partition, with
> /etc/fstab having hdb1 mount into /wd80gb upon boot.  My plan is to
> comment out that line in /etc/fstab, replace hdb with a 200 GB sata
> drive and edit /etc/fstab accordingly.
>
> Has anyone done something similar?  Just wanted to get tips ahead of
> time in case Lenny doesn't like using one "real" IDE drive along with
> one "adapted" IDE drive.

For the money and compatibility you're probably better off going with an
actual SATA controller instead of that Frankenstein adatper.  They're
the same price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815104219

I just ordered one of this PCI card and a 500GB WD drive for use in an
old Intel 440BX system.  The parts haven't arrived yet, so I can't
testify yet to how well it works.  However, the SiI 3112 is fully
supported by libata and I anticipate no real problems.  I still have to
compile a new kernel with the SATA driver as I only have the PIIX IDE
driver currently.

I'll update this thread or post new as to if/how well it works.

--
Stan