Re: The purchase of a new laptop on debian

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009, Daniel Dalton <d.dalton@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> I'm looking to buy a knew laptop. I have been recommended by a few
> people to look at the Lenovo thinkpad X 200 and t 400/500. What are your
> thoughts on these systems? What is positive, what is negative?

I've been happily using Debian on Thinkpads for just over 11 years now.

> What other brands should I consider Dell and HP don't seem to be as
> powerful as these Lenovos, but maybe I'm wrong. What should I consider
> with good linux support (debian)? I'm looking at a 12.1 inch system, but
> am also happy to buy a 14 inch. I will need something with dual core
> 2ghz+ cpu and 2 gb+ ram. I also may run virtual machines too.

Nowadays the vast majority of hardware just works.  The biggest issues seems
to be in Wireless and high-end video support.  Video is the main thing to
worry about as you can always use a USB Wireless device while waiting for the
built-in hardware to be supported.

Don't get a Dell unless you like a really shiny screen.

--
russell@coker.com.au
http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Main Blog