Re: Problem accessing some websites

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 09:34:30PM +0100, Guillaume CHARDIN wrote:
> 2009/11/25 Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au>:
> > On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 08:03:52PM +0100, Guillaume CHARDIN wrote:
> >> Hi,
> > [snip]
> > so when you browse from the linux computer running pppoe you have
> > problems ? or only when you have a computer behind it.
>
> I don't have any graphical ui on the linux box but a `wget
> website.domain` is endless.
>
> To fix mtu problem, i edit the /etc/ppp/peer/dsl-provider and modify the line :
>        mtu 1492
>        mtu 1450 (i tried many value between 1450-1400)
> the disconnect/reconnect.
> I tried to set it to another value with the ifconfig command too.
>
> And I found on an internal windows station a max mtu size of 1463
> (with ping -l 1463 -f)
>
> For information, the MTU discovery is set on iptable on the debian gateway :
> #iptables -t mangle -L
> [...]
> Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
> TCPMSS     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
> flags:SYN,RST/SYN tcpmss match 1400:1536 TCPMSS clamp to PMTU

Great thats about all the things I would have checked as well.

you can test from linux itself with ping -M do -s <packet size> -c 10
<dest ip>

I would try using the ping above to find the max mtu size to say
your isp dns or proxy.

then try it to the sites you can't always get to

--
"But all in all, it's been a fabulous year for Laura and me."

	- George W. Bush
12/20/2001
Washington, DC
summing up his first year in office, three months after the 9/11 attacks