Re: Is Squeeze right for me? [Possible FAQ?]

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 19:01:38 +0000
"Andrew M.A. Cater" <amacater@galactic.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Herewith a couple of quick answers: if need be, can we work up an FAQ
> list to be posted here once a month or so in the same way that some very
> long-established Usenet lists post multi-part FAQs?

Nice idea.

> How long does support for a stable version last?
> For one year after the release of the next stable version. The trend at
> the time of writing is one release every 22-24 months, so a version is
> fully supported for approximately three years.

Minor nitpick - the two year freeze / release schedule is actually
current official policy, not just a trend:

http://www.debian.org/News/2009/20090729

> How many CDs / DVDs is it?
>
> One network install disk if you have Internet bandwidth: if you have no
> connectivity or are behind a firewall, 5 DVDs or 22 CDs. It is not
> necessary or desirable to install every Debian package.

One should probably add that in general, they try to put the more
commonly used stuff on the earlier images, so most people won't
actually need all of them, at least not to begin with.

Celejar