Re: Is Squeeze right for me? [Possible FAQ?]

Dne, 23. 11. 2009 00:44:40 je S. Fishpaste napisal(a):

> Someone mentioned the sheer volume of information that is often
> available to
> the Debian user. I can see how it's intimidating and confusing to the
> casual
> user as it is to even those of us that consider themselves perhaps a
> little
> more experienced but still learning non-the-less.

Precisely. The trouble with the standard "RTFM" or "Google is your
friend" answers is that, if you follow them to the letter, you'll find
not one but, say, half a dozen different infos/posts/howtos that will
appear as potential solutions to a casual user. Of course, one of those
will not work in Lenny because it was Etch-specific, another will not
work for, say, a DHCP-networked computer with NetworkManager, but only
for static-IP machines, or vice versa, and so on. Problem is that, as a
newbie, you won't know that in advance. You'll proceed by trial and
error.
(There's also the possibility that your issue is simply a brand
new glitch/bug that hasn't made it to the various bug
trackers yet, so all your research won't help you zilch.)
Once a typical newbie has tried out all those suggestions and
discovered that they don't work -- and even if he discovered that some
actually do work -- he will have modified so many parts of his Debian
install, that it may well be messed up. Which, for a complete newbie,
may virtually spell "messed up *beyond repair*".

All a newbie or a casual user can do is change his attitude: start
considering these obstacles/challenges not as "pitfalls", but as
"opportunities to learn". Life's not perfect, but it's perfectible. To
a degree. Sometimes.

--
Regards,

Klistvud