Re: SATA disk drivers missing from Debian 5.0.3 network installer

Hi Frank,

Thank you for your response.  I am familiar with the BIOS option you are referring to because I've had to set it before on the HP ProLiant DL1XX servers, but this is an HP BL2x220c G5 blade and no such option exists.

If I install directly from the DVD, which has the loadable kernel modules, the disks are properly recognized, which leads me to believe that the BIOS setting isn't the issue.

This is the Debian Installer I used to install over the network.

http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/debian-installer/i386/initrd.gz

http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/debian-installer/i386/linux

I also tried taking the libata.ko and ata_piix.ko modules from the "initrd.gz" that comes with the Debian 5.0.3 DVD 1 under the "install.386" directory and loading them when the Debian Network Installer was sitting at the shell prompt, but I got.

# insmod libata.ko
insmod: error inserting 'libata.ko' : -1 Invalid module format

The problem is that I will be doing all my installs over the network so I need for the Debian installer to recognize the SATA disks.

Thank you.

Rigoberto