Re: Different font rendering in Iceweasel and Google Chrome

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 11:58:28 +0100, Matteo Riva wrote:

> Quoting Camaleón:

(...)

>> [x] Allow pages to select their own font face, instead the above
>> selection
>
> Well this last line is all that's needed, style sheets will override
> whatever font I pick.

Yes. That option checked means the browser should display the fonts as
defined by web pages.

This is the only way you get what the web designer wants you to get. I
know that can be a problem for some people that want to use their own
styles, but anyway, is just a matter of taste, has no relevance with your
issue.

>> BTW, you can make some checks between Chrome and Iceweasel by browsing
>> through these pages:
>>
>> http://fm.no-ip.com/auth/Font/font-arial.html
>> http://fm.no-ip.com/auth/Font/font-tahoma.html
>> http://fm.no-ip.com/auth/Font/font-verdana.html
>
> Thanks for the links, hadn't thought of doing that comparison, here is
> what I get: http://fruple.com/kemper/font_sizes2.png

Chris Jones is right, that not seems to be a Verdana (compare your image
with mine) but the fact is the same font (whatever font it is) is
displayed "bigger" than in Chrome.

For this reason and in order to get accurate results, just keep the "[x]
Allow pages to select their own font face, instead the above" checked,
this way we can see the real Verdana font and if it renders at its right
size.

> Seems like Iceweasel has some issues with font sizes, chrome's
> progression is clearly more linear while iceweasel has some "spikes":
> 7pt is much bigger than 6, while being almost equal to 8. Same thing at
> 9/10/11 points.

Yes, Chrome's progression is smoother than Iceweasel.

> Should I file this as a bug?

I cannot reproduce it, but I only have Icewasel (3.0.6) and Epiphany
installed and both display the same size for all fonts.

> And against what package? Iceweasel itself
> or does it have another package taking care of the font rendering?

The package should be Iceweasel, yes.

But take into account that Chrome uses "Wekbit" as rendering engine and
Iceweasel uses "Gecko", that is, two different engines that *may* render
things a bit differently.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón