Re: Different font rendering in Iceweasel and Google Chrome

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 22:47:27 +0100, Matteo Riva wrote:

> Quoting Camaleón:
>> That's an important point.
>>
>> Are all the fonts rendering bigger than they should or just happens
>> with Verdana? If only one font is rendering badly, it is also possible
>> that the file is corrupted in some way.
>
> Well, so far I found that the problem happens only with truetype fonts
> and ONLY at 10pt (tried arial, verdana, tahoma, trebuchet ms) -- they
> look different on the two browsers. Other font-sizes look the same.

Okay, then.

- What are your fonts settings in Iceweasel?

Here is what I have:

***
Occidental (iso-8859-1)
Serif: Times News Roman / point: 16
Sans-serif: Arial
Monospace: Courier-new / point: 13
Smallest font size: none
[x] Allow pages to select their own font face, instead the above selection
***

BTW, you can make some checks between Chrome and Iceweasel by browsing
through these pages:

http://fm.no-ip.com/auth/Font/font-arial.html
http://fm.no-ip.com/auth/Font/font-tahoma.html
http://fm.no-ip.com/auth/Font/font-verdana.html

Here is a snapshot of how Iceweasel renders Arial and Verdana fonts in my
system:

http://picpaste.com/arial.png
http://picpaste.com/verdana.png

Also, print the pages (directly from both, Chrome and Iceweasel) to see
if you still see the size difference in the printed page.

>> > -- anyway how can I set screen DPI?
>> > Option in `device` section in xorg.conf seems to have no effect.
>> >
>> > Thanks a lot for your replies so far
>>
>> In Gnome, you can right-click on the desktop and select "Change desktop
>> background / Fonts tab / Details"
>
> Thanks but that seems to have no effect on the browser contents, just
> changing gnome fonts.

Let's discard the "dpi path", then :-)

Greetings,

--