Re: [OT] Old machine bsd vs. linux

On Thursday 19 November 2009 10:42:51 pm Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 08:24:58PM +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> > Though the system in case is not such an "ancient" platform. i386 is
> > alive and well. Even FreeBSD supports it. Linux surely does.
>
> I think i486 is now the lowest supported platform on Linux, well at
> least on Debian.
>
> --
> Chris.

I think both BSD and Linux support those. Well, most anyway. A lot fo the new
shiny distros don't anymore, but Slackware has i486 opts as far as I know. I
think Pat said that there wasn't much of a difference between the i486 and
i586 other than it would no longer let you use a 486 so he kept i486. FreeBSD
is mostly the same in that it will in fact still run nicely on older stuff
like that. I use freeBSD here for a couple things because I like it and Linux
both. I don't choose sides because I like and use both. I have a Slackware
tee shrt and a FreeBSD tee shirt. lol.

I also still have older versions of Slackware and FreeBSD here just in case I
find someone using a 386 as a door stop since that's more than enough to play
DooM on last I checked (If you have an older version) either way, I still
have the disks.

--
http://www.myspace.com/farmacyofhorror
Digital Horror Punk - Music I make! All done with LMMS