Re: [OT] Old machine bsd vs. linux

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 09:36:03AM -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:

>> On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 22:54:08 -0600
>> Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Sorry to ask specially through this list...
>>>
>>> I've been a linux user for around 10 years now, however lately some
>>> 800MHz Coppermine machines are not performing as well as they used to.
>>>
>>> What I've read in this same list in the past, is that for the purpose
>>> of still not letting them die, using openBSD, or perhaps freeBSD, is
>>> the way to go.
>>>     If any one could share pointers to more up to date benchmarks,
>>> which
>>> are as well oriented not just to networking and servers, it'd be
>>> great.  The idea is to find data supporting the initial idea of
>>> freeBSD or openBSD providing better performance for old machines...
>>> Well, that might be a wrong assumption to start with, but that's what
>>> I've read...
>>>
> NetBSD is the distribution most focused on portability across lots of
> (older) platforms.

Though the system in case is not such an "ancient" platform. i386 is
alive and well. Even FreeBSD supports it. Linux surely does.

> Can't help re. banchmarks, other than to note that googling on -
> benchmarks linux bsd - seems to yield LOTS of seemingly useful results
> (e.g., http://bulk.fefe.de/scalability/).

Hmm... benchmarks of 2003. Both Linux and FreeBSD have radically changed
since. Furthermore, those tests are intended to test scalability, which
is not exactly what you care if you want to run a simple, low-end
desktop.