Re: [OT] Old machine bsd vs. linux

On Wednesday 18 November 2009 08:37:26 am S. Fishpaste wrote:

> Agreed. I'm using Sid on a Toshiba P3 550 Coppermine, with xfce as the GUI
> and 300+ Ram. Runs fine even with Firefox 3.5.x, which admittedly is a
> little slow to start; but once running, browsing is fine. Chrome starts up
> much faster.

I have a Pentium 3 733 MHZ with 384 MBs RAM running Slackware 12 as my FTP
server, and I have a 433 MHz Celeron with 192 MBs of RAM whih has a small
Windows 98 SE partition for Magic: The Gathering, because the version I have
won't work on NT based stuff (The original one only worked on 9X) and I have
the rest for FreeBSD and Slackware and it works fine.

I generally use Window Maker on that, but FVWM works fine too, and on
Slackware 13.0 I had KDE4 working on it. It lagged a little but not as much
as I thought it would.

Enlightenment E17 even works fine on it.

--
http://www.myspace.com/farmacyofhorror
Digital Horror Punk - Music I make! All done with LMMS