SD Card not being seen

I am running Debian Sid, and have a USB multicard reader installed in my
PC.  I know the card reader is seen, lsusb lists it

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 058f:6362 Alcor Micro Corp. Hi-Speed 21-in-1
Flash Card Reader/Writer (Internal/External)

And /dev is populated with /dev/sdc,/dev/sdd, /dev/sde and /dev/sdf
which appear to be the four different card slots on this unit. (I
presume it is acting as a hub, because when I plug a usb thumb stick on
the usb port on it, it adds another device /dev/sdg)

I know the SD card I have is formated with vfat, since I can see it on a
Sheeva plug computer that I have.  However, I cannot detect it when
installed in the card reader on my Debian Sid PC.

When I plug the SD card in, the reader shows an orange light, showing
its detected something, but (for instance) running fdisk -l does not
show it, and I cannot see any devices appearing in /dev (such as
/dev/sd[cdef]1) to indicated the card is seen.

Am I missing something, like a modprobe that is needed? or is it likely
that the hardware doesn't work (I have never used it before, despite
being several years old).

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk