Re: SD Card not being seen

Alan Chandler wrote:
I am running Debian Sid, and have a USB multicard reader installed in my PC. I know the card reader is seen, lsusb lists it

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 058f:6362 Alcor Micro Corp. Hi-Speed 21-in-1 Flash Card Reader/Writer (Internal/External)

And /dev is populated with /dev/sdc,/dev/sdd, /dev/sde and /dev/sdf which appear to be the four different card slots on this unit. (I presume it is acting as a hub, because when I plug a usb thumb stick on the usb port on it, it adds another device /dev/sdg)

I know the SD card I have is formated with vfat, since I can see it on a Sheeva plug computer that I have. However, I cannot detect it when installed in the card reader on my Debian Sid PC.

When I plug the SD card in, the reader shows an orange light, showing its detected something, but (for instance) running fdisk -l does not show it, and I cannot see any devices appearing in /dev (such as /dev/sd[cdef]1) to indicated the card is seen.

Am I missing something, like a modprobe that is needed? or is it likely that the hardware doesn't work (I have never used it before, despite being several years old).

I've just been through this on Ubuntu, Googling around and seeing people being recommended to look up the device name in dmesg, create a mount point and then manually mount it...

That's fine on a server, where you want a lean, highly tuned machine with minimum crud, but when I plug a USB stick/drive into a desktop or laptop, I want it mounted for me. NOW.

The missing link is usbmount.

--
Joe