Re: [OT] Old machine bsd vs. linux

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 22:54:08 -0600
Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry to ask specially through this list...
>
> I've been a linux user for around 10 years now, however lately some
> 800MHz Coppermine machines are not performing as well as they used to.
>
> What I've read in this same list in the past, is that for the purpose
> of still not letting them die, using openBSD, or perhaps freeBSD, is
> the way to go.

> If any one could share pointers to more up to date benchmarks, which
> are as well oriented not just to networking and servers, it'd be
> great.  The idea is to find data supporting the initial idea of
> freeBSD or openBSD providing better performance for old machines...
> Well, that might be a wrong assumption to start with, but that's what
> I've read...

I don't have any actual information, but you'll want to get in touch
with Douglas A. Tutty.  I don't know if he's currently reading the list
(he used to be a frequent contributor - search the archives for his
email address), but he was an avid fan of running some flavor of BSD on
ancient hardware, who used to always insist that they were much more
suitable for old HW than (modern) linux, and he has lots of experience
running his BSD.  I don't know if he has actual benchmarks, but he can
definitely speak with the voice of experience.

Celejar