Re: samba query

> Hi,
>
> How can I make samba only accept log ins, if the password
> supplied by
> the client, matches that username on the server? eg. blank or wrong
> passwords shouldn't be allowed access to the server, so how do I
> enablethis? It seems samba by default accepts blank passwords,
> and lets the
> client mount the share, or even if the password is wrong.
>
> Also, will this behaviour that I am asking about be compatible
> with win
> xp? I'll add a user on the linux server, with the same user name
> as the
> xp one, will the xp client be able to connect?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan.

This works fine for me.  You might simply be missing a line in your config file or something.

In your smb.conf:

    # Guest account
    guest account = smbguest

    # Security mode
    security = user

    # Passwords
    encrypt passwords = true
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    unix password sync = Yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
    pam password change = yes

    # User authentication
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    obey pam restrictions = yes

    # Anonymous users mapped to guest user
    map to guest = bad user

In your smbusers file, map Linux usernames to Windows usernames:

    smbguest = "guest"
    myuser = "My User"

So the Windows user "My User" would get mapped to the Linux user myuser.  You can specify passwords for the Samba users using smbpasswd:

    smbpasswd -c /etc/samba/smb.conf myuser

And just replace /etc/samba with the path to your smb.conf file if it is different.

This works fine for me from Windows XP.  When I access a Samba share I get prompted for the password, and if I put in an incorrect password then I get re-prompted a few times and eventually locked out (technically I get mapped to the Samba guest user, but my guest user has no access).  If I put in the correct password then itall works fine.

Hope this helps.

    - Dave