Re: setting screen resolution to 1366x768

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 06:13:05PM -0500, Tony Nelson wrote:
> On 09-11-11 17:15:06, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 10:32:32PM +0200, Alexander Kaphuk wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I have installed Debian Lenny on a Compaq Presario. The screen
> > > resolution was automatically set to 1024x768.
> > > This resolution seems to be the highest available based on the
> > > output of 'xrandr'.
> > > The native screen resolution for my laptop is 1366x768.
> > > I'd appreciate anyone suggesting how to go about it.
> >
> > without spending all day relearning how to do it, the basic procedure
> > is to specify a new mode.

[...]

> Before doing that, take a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /etc/X11/
> xorg.conf, and see why the modes aren't available.  If they're all
> disabled due to "out of range", look at the "Configured Monitor" lines,
> and possibly edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf "Monitor" section to broaden the
> range(s) (but don't exceed the manufacturer's specs!  If the laptop
> display vertical range is 60 - 60, then perhaps 59 - 61 will fix
> it).

excellent point. I have seen in the past where a monitor reports a
vertical range of (making up values here) 50 - 60 but the calculation
of the rate for the top resolution is 60.1 and thus is called out of
range. It was clearly (a couple of years ago) a problem in the
precision of the calculation. setting the range to one more worked
just fine and that monitor continues to perform flawlessly years
later. ymmv.