Re: setting screen resolution to 1366x768

On 09-11-11 17:15:06, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 10:32:32PM +0200, Alexander Kaphuk wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have installed Debian Lenny on a Compaq Presario. The screen
> > resolution was automatically set to 1024x768.
> > This resolution seems to be the highest available based on the
> > output of 'xrandr'.
> > The native screen resolution for my laptop is 1366x768.
> > I'd appreciate anyone suggesting how to go about it.
>
> without spending all day relearning how to do it, the basic procedure
> is to specify a new mode.
>
> You can do this dynamically through xrandr at the command line. Read
> the manpage for instructions on how to specify a new mode. I believe
> it looks similar to the old ModeLine stuff from xorg.conf. Once
> you've successfully added the mode through xrandr, you can select it
> and test it out. If that works, then you'll want to take the mode
> line specification and put it into xorg.conf to make it available to
> X on startup.

Before doing that, take a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /etc/X11/
xorg.conf, and see why the modes aren't available.  If they're all
disabled due to "out of range", look at the "Configured Monitor" lines,
and possibly edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf "Monitor" section to broaden the
range(s) (but don't exceed the manufacturer's specs!  If the laptop
display vertical range is 60 - 60, then perhaps 59 - 61 will fix it).

> There are a couple of modeline calculators available on the net, and
> I'm pretty sure there is one available in the standard repo, but I
> don't recall the name.

I see that cvt and gtf are in Lenny.

TonyN.:'                       <mailto:tonynelson@georgeanelson.com>