Re: mkdosfs hangs while scanning for bad blocks

whollygoat@letterboxes.org wrote:
On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 09:46 +0000, "John Allen" <john.allen@dublinux.net>
wrote:
whollygoat@letterboxes.org wrote:
Anybody know what's going on or can help debug
this at least?

Running squeeze I am having trouble reformatting a * 64MB memory stick and a * 160GB 2.5" HD in a USB linked external enclosure

using "mkdosfs -c /dev/sd{ag}1".

I can report the same happens on Lenny with the latest amd64 kernel.

What kind of medium did you try to format,
and how big is it?

2G SD card, it had been reporting read errors in my camera, so I thought I'd reformat with -c :(
I tried this with a live grml cd and it choked there
as well.  No luck getting the drive recognized under
dos.  Think I will try making a couple of smaller
partitions and see if that works any better.

Thanks for you comment

will