Can't chown a USB-connected GSM phone mem card

Howdie, fellow Debianites!

I'm on Lenny, working in Gnome. My Nokia phone gets automounted when I
connect it via USB to my Debian box.
The phone has a memory card on which all files and directories belong
to the wrong user. I have probably copied stuff from that user's
account when I first initialized the card. Problem is, it now only
allows manipulation/copying/deleting from that user's account.
Trying to chown it as root fails epically. What gives? How can these
cards have any ownership bits at all? Aren't they all FAT16/Fat32???
Will be greateful for any hints.

--
Regards,

Klistvud