Re: Can't chown a USB-connected GSM phone mem card

Klistvud wrote at 2009-11-08 18:05 -0600:
> I'm on Lenny, working in Gnome. My Nokia phone gets automounted when I
> connect it via USB to my Debian box.

Is it listed in /etc/fstab, or automounted some other way?

> The phone has a memory card on which all files and directories belong
> to the wrong user. I have probably copied stuff from that user's
> account when I first initialized the card. Problem is, it now only
> allows manipulation/copying/deleting from that user's account.
> Trying to chown it as root fails epically. What gives?

What do you mean by 'fails epically'?  Probably denials because the fs type is
vfat (FAT32), without support for permissions, like you say below.

> How can these
> cards have any ownership bits at all? Aren't they all FAT16/Fat32???

You might want to try the uid= option in /etc/fstab.  Add a line for the device
if necessary, probably using UUID or LABEL (blkid /dev/sda1).  See "Mount
options for fat" subsection of mount(8).