Re: running openvpn client as non-root user?

On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 12:46:01AM -0500, H.S. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have just finished installing openvpn server on my router machine
> running Debian Testing.
>
> For now I can connect from a client machine using openvpn client but
> only as a root user (or by using sudo). The client is an Ubuntu machine.
>
> Since I am new to all this openvpn stuff, I have a few basic questions
> regarding the clients:
> Do all clients need to run openvpn client command as root or by using sudo?
> If not, then what is the right way to do so as a non-root user?
> If yes, then what is the best way to go about it? Do I set up sudo for
> all users to be able to use openvpn command without having to sudo
> explicitly?

I think openvpn must have some privileges, as it can modify the route
table.
I use it with sudo at home.

But, I know that NetworkManager can open VPN connections. Here I think
it involves a daemon, running as root, and a desktop applet, running as the user, which talk to the
daemon.