Re: running openvpn client as non-root user?

Gilles Mocellin wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 12:46:01AM -0500, H.S. wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have just finished installing openvpn server on my router machine
>> running Debian Testing.
>>
>> For now I can connect from a client machine using openvpn client but
>> only as a root user (or by using sudo). The client is an Ubuntu machine.
>>
>> Since I am new to all this openvpn stuff, I have a few basic questions
>> regarding the clients:
>> Do all clients need to run openvpn client command as root or by using sudo?
>> If not, then what is the right way to do so as a non-root user?
>> If yes, then what is the best way to go about it? Do I set up sudo for
>> all users to be able to use openvpn command without having to sudo
>> explicitly?
>
> I think openvpn must have some privileges, as it can modify the route
> table.
> I use it with sudo at home.
>
> But, I know that NetworkManager can open VPN connections. Here I think
> it involves a daemon, running as root, and a desktop applet, running as the user, which talk to the
> daemon.

The client in my case is a laptop and it is running wicd, not
network-manager. IIRC, wicd deals better with wpa and wpa2 in wireless
connection (at it least when I installed it to replace networ-manager).

I have since tried to give sudo access to openvpn command to the users.
That has not worked as well, I think it needed sudo access to some
additional commands (e.g. routing, as you mention).

ever having been read.