Re: blurry fonts (again)

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 20:39:32 -0500, Celejar wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 00:03:39 +0100 Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

> > I checked my "good" PDF with pdfedit and the Hebrew characters are
> > indeed typeset in TimesNewRoman and TimesNewRomanBold. DejaVuSans is
> > used only for the extra information in headers and footers (URL, page
> > number, date, time). Your "bad" PDF uses the FrankRuehlCLM font for the
> > Hebrew text and BitstreamVeraSerif for headers and footers.
> >
> > I think there could be a problem with the FrankRuehlCLM font (package
> > "culmus")

[...]

> Okay.  So I tried removing culmus, and now a reasonably legible and
> normal looking, if not particularly attractive (although that may be
> purely subjective, and in the eye of the beholder) PDF is generated,
> for which pdffonts shows:
>
> name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
> ------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
> FreeSerifBold                        CID TrueType      yes no  yes      5  0
> FreeSerif                            CID TrueType      yes no  yes      7  0
> BitstreamVeraSerif                   CID TrueType      yes no  yes     35  0

You can use

  fc-match -s serif:lang=he

to get a list of possible candidates for serif fonts on your system that
support Hebrew. Maybe you can find one that is easier on the eyes than
FreeSerif (which is important for reading longer texts, all discussions
about aesthetics and personal taste set aside). Note that the
lower-ranked fonts (the results are sorted from best match to worst)
might not actually have Hebrew characters at all, however. Font matching
tends to assume that it is better to return a font that deviates a lot
from the search requirements than not to return anything at all.

> I tried using fc-match on these font names, as you showed me in our
> first iteration of this thread, but I'm a bit confused by the output:
>
> ~$ fc-match
> FreeSerif FreeSerif.ttf: "FreeSerif" "Mittel"
>
> This seems to indicate that FreeSerif comes from the FreeSerif.ttf
> file, which is from the ttf-freefont package. OTOH:
>
> ~$ fc-match
> FreeSerifBold Vera.ttf: "Bitstream Vera Sans" "Roman"
>
> Does this mean that FreeSerifBold is in Vera.ttf and not in
> ttf-freefont?

No, searching for font attributes like weight, style or slant has to be
done differently:

$ fc-match FreeSerif:weight=bold
FreeSerifBold.ttf: "FreeSerif" "Fett"

$ fc-match FreeSerif:style=bold
FreeSerifBold.ttf: "FreeSerif" "Bold"

(I do not understand why the first command returns the German word for
"Bold", though, or why you see "Mittel" instead of "Medium".)

More information on font attributes and how to influence font selection
with ~/.fonts.conf can be found in

/usr/share/doc/fontconfig/fontconfig-user.html

--
Regards,            |
          Florian   |