Re: Depends overkill, how do you weed out the packages

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 13:57:56 -0800, Andrew Sackville-West
<andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> [...] have you looked at the -R option to aptitude? [...]

No, classic clueless newb syndrome from me. It did not occur to me based
on the returned output I got before that aptitude was mingling recommended
packages with required packages. I'm newly switched to aptitude vs. apt-get
so I'll need to re-discover those kinds of nuances.

This new output gives me something I can feel a little better about and
move forward, Thank you!

aptitude -R install virtualbox-3.0
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
 ca-certificates{a}
 libasound2{a}
 libaudio2{a}
 libcurl3{a}
 libdb4.5{a}
 libidn11{a}
 libjpeg62{a}
 liblcms1{a}
 libldap-2.4-2{a}
 libmng1{a}
 libqt4-network{a}
 libqtcore4{a}
 libqtgui4{a}
 libsdl1.2debian{a}
 libsdl1.2debian-alsa{a}
 libsqlite3-0{a}
 libssh2-1{a}
 libsvga1{a}
 libtiff4{a}
 libx86-1{a}
 libxcursor1{a}
 libxfixes3{a}
 libxi6{a}
 libxmu6{a}
 libxslt1.1{a}
 libxt6{a}
 mime-support{a}
 openssl{a}
 psmisc{a}
 python2.5{a}
 python2.5-minimal{a}
 svgalibg1{a}
 virtualbox-3.0
The following packages are RECOMMENDED but will NOT be installed:
 binutils
 epdfview
 evince
 evince-gtk
 gcc
 gv
 kghostview
 kpdf
 libgl1-mesa-glx
 libgl1-mesa-swx11
 libhal1
 libpulse0
 libsdl-ttf2.0-0
 linux-headers-2.6-amd64
 linux-headers-2.6-openvz-amd64
 linux-headers-2.6-vserver-amd64
 linux-headers-2.6-xen-amd64
 linux-headers-2.6.26-1-amd64
 linux-headers-2.6.26-1-openvz-amd64
 linux-headers-2.6.26-1-vserver-amd64
 linux-headers-2.6.26-1-xen-amd64
 linux-headers-2.6.26-2-amd64
 linux-headers-2.6.26-2-openvz-amd64
 linux-headers-2.6.26-2-vserver-amd64
 linux-headers-2.6.26-2-xen-amd64
 make
 okular
 python-central
 qt4-qtconfig
 viewpdf.app
 xpdf-reader
 xpdf-utils
packages upgraded, 33 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 60.5MB of archives. After unpacking 137MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]