Re: Depends overkill, how do you weed out the packages

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 04:23:37PM -0500, vr wrote:
> I have a fresh install of Debian Lenny 503 amd64 via a netinst CDROM. I've
> only installed a couple of packages like openbox because I want to run as
> lean a desktop I can to try out virtualbox-3.0.
>
> I figured openbox would be enough to handle the "GUI" needed for
> virtualbox-3.0 but after adding the official repository to my sources list
> I get a bunch of KDE and audio hits when trying to install VirtualBox.
>
> This doesn't seem right so I am looking for pointers on how to trim down
> this list of what I perceive as excessive bloat.

without looking closely at the actual dependencies of what you are
installing, have you looked at the -R option to aptitude? There are
configuration items to coincide as well. Basically, it prevents the
automatic installation of "Recommends" packages.