Re: What's best way to use Debian w/o my laptop? Flash + union?

>> I also like to do that, but many of my machines seem to not support it,
>> or at least I haven't been able to use it on many of my machines, even
>> though they appear to support it.
>> What are those good guides on how to set it up for Debian?
> wiki.debian.org/WakeOnLan was all I needed.  man ethtool is worth
> reading too.

Good read, thanks.  Sadly, it doesn't seem to provide any trick I didn't
know yet, except for the "byte-reversed MAC address" oddity.
Incidentally, that page forgets to mention that /proc/acpi/wakeup can
also influence whether or not WOL will work (and if you look at
/proc/acpi/wakeup, you'll see that some wakeup sources may only work
when the machine is in S3 or S4 state, i.e. not shutdown, but hibernated
or suspended).

>> No, those etherwake packets are not IP packets, they're "raw" ethernet
>> packets and are hence not routable over the internet: you can only send
>> them from a machine on the same physical ethernet network.
> I agree.  But there are other tools that send the magic packet as UDP.
> That way you can send the packet to a local subnet broadcast address
> and still have the machine wake up.

Interesting.  Do you have more info about that?

        Stefan