Re: vmware after kernel upgrade on lenny

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 10:22:16 +0000, John O Laoi wrote:

> I am using lenny.
> I tried to use vmware workstation, and I got an error to the effect
> Anybody know what the problem might be?

I have no experience with Workstation but have succeeded twice in getting
VMware Server 1.0.6-91891 to run on Lenny.  It was tricky.  Here's a very
short summary (from the command line):

  Run   ./vmware-install.pl
  Reject the offer to run /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl
  Run a patch of vmmon and a patch of vmnet
  Remake vmmon.tar and vmnet.tar
  Run   CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.1 /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl

and proceed from there normally.  You need the gcc-4.1 package for the last
line.

I got the two patches as
  VMware-server-vmmon-1.0.6-91891-2.6.26-1.patch.bz2
  VMware-server-vmnet-1.0.6-91891-2.6.26-1.patch.bz2

at

  http://groups.google.com/group/vmkernelnewbies/browse_thread/thread/a440c0e70351af6b/

and worked out the installation from instructions there.  Another useful site
(for Server) was:

    http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-install-vmware-server-1.0.x-on-a-debian-lenny-desktop

Sorry if this is of no help with Workstation.  I've only used the free
Server.  I installed Server 2 but gave up on it.  My serial mouse and sound
didn't work, and I didn't like its management interface as well.  The only
reason I even tried 2 is because my USB scanner crashes 1; it still didn't
work with 2.

If anyone wants my detailed (long) log of how I installed Server 1.0.6 on
Lenny, I'll be happy to send it.