Re: Recommended Linux Backup

On 09-11-01 02:01:18, lrhorer wrote:
> > I don't see any mention of that venerable *nix utility, dump.
> > Other than not looking like a mounted filesystem and possibly the
> > sheer size of the data, dump should fulfill your requirements.
>
>         I thought about dump, but I did notthink it would stop when a
> volume is full and prompt for another volume (at least not if the
> volume is a hard drive).

dump normally stops when the media is full (see `man dump` for details
and other options), and can either just pause or run a script.  I back
up semi-manually to DVD via a temporary file, with this command:

    # dump -0 -L xxx -b 32 -B 4590200 -f /tmp/dvd /mnt/point

-0  Full dump
-L  Label
-b  Blocksize
-B  Set the size of the output "tape"
-f  Output file

> > You'd certainly want to rotate between several dump sets for
> > redundancy.
>
>         No, I'm gong to be doing differential backups. The bckuip
> array added tot he offline storage is enough redundancy.

Well, if you say so.

> > That would mean more hard drives.  It might make sense
> > to also dump to DVDs, just to have a different failure mode.
>
>         You're kidding,right?  Back up the data to more than 900 Dual
> Layer DVDs?  Admittedly they are cheap, but... no, thanks.

It depends on the consequences of data loss.  If they are severe, there
should have several live copies at different locations and providers
or at least two offline copies, preferably one with completely
different failure modes.  On the other hand, if data loss is of little
consequence, then sure, one copy is enough.

TonyN.:'                       <mailto:tonynelson@georgeanelson.com>